Sunday, September 11, 2011

Thinking of Buying a ProvoCraft Chizzel-It?

Have you seen these in the craft store and wondered what they were all about? Well, in my experience they are just not worth the expense!
I have owned two of these. Yup, two! Why two if I don't like it, you're probably wondering. Well, I bought the first one and it broke before I could even use it. Thought perhaps, in my inexperience, I did something wrong. But I was only installing the batteries! The plastic casing cracked.
Well, I had REALLY wanted to try this product, so I took my little 40% off coupon to the store and bought another one. I'll tell you how that went!
I was much more careful putting in those batteries, I'll tell you that! But, I found that it is hard to turn the tool on so that it stays on. And worse yet, get it to turn off! So, I had to install the batteries for each use. A pain to say the least.
The kit gees with 4 cute little attachments. Each is designed to do a different job. One is intended for sanding, one for etching, there's one that is supposed to act as an awl, and another for polishing. The awl did not work with any precision for me at all. I tried to place a hole in a piece of chipboard (which is not very thick) and without applying quite a bit of pressure, it barely made a dent. The polisher scratched my tiles on a mosaic I was working on!
All in all, I found the Chizzel - It to be a waste of my money. But, live and learn of course! Besides, I do love to try new crafting tools, I just wish I had tried someone else's!
If you really want a great tool that will perform all of the functions the Chizzel-It claims to, my advice would be to invest in a dremel tool. These can be found at any Sears or Home Depot. They are much sturdier and perform better.
Search For A Dremel Tool

No comments:

Post a Comment