Monday, September 26, 2011

Stained Glass

For years and years and years, I did a lot of craft and art shows with my stained glass. Because of all of those good and bad experiences, I have a lot of advice I can offer to help you earn more money when you find yourself doing one...
On average, you can expect to sell 10% of the stock that you bring to the show. Think about it...that means to earn $500, you need to bring $5000 worth of finished pieces! That is alot of work and glass is heavy. And, there are questions to ask BEFOREyou book a spot:
* Make sure you can unload by your spot. I had several experiences of having to walk for blocks with my glass...and back then I was a smoker. (I'm sure it wasn't a pretty sight...I remember huffing and puffing by the time I reached my spot.)
* Is there help available if needed? Churches and schools were usually great about providing a helping hand!
* Can you pick your spot? Location can be very important and should weigh heavily on your decision to participate. If you have a terrible spot, it can mean a long, bad day...
* How many other vendors will be sellingstained glass? Thru the years, it was mainly just myself selling the stained glass and thatusually made for a good day. :) Even with one other seller, you can still do great.We all have our own sense of color and style. You and the other artists' work will look different, so don't worry about that.
Wondering if there are any craft or art shows going on in your area? Contact your local Chamber of gemerce...Or, call local churches and schools. They usually have yearly events which work out great for you. Customers tend to be very loyal and gee back year after year!
Finally, the best advice I can give is to value your work as an artist. If you don't value yourself, why should anyone else? Price it accordingly and have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment