Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Hobby Girl Knitting Machine by Tomy

A A friend asked me how I felt about this machine. I bought one and checked it out. Yes, it works. As advertised, the Hobby Girl knitting machine by Tomy is similar to the Bond. It gees with2 claw weights and no cast-on geb. I used thesmall cast-on geb off my big machine and it workedperfect. I cast on using several methods and they all worked. It has 28 metal needles and the gauge must be abut 10-11mm. My HobbyGirl was missing the needle transfer tool so I used one off my bulky, only the 1X1 workedas the gauge isa litle larger than 9mm. There are no clamps to secure it to the table or knitting surface (no, you cannot hold it in your lap). The machine has little rubber feet that are supposed to hold it to the table (not mine). I used a bungie cord to tie the machine down toawooden TV table and it worked perfect. I ran the cord through the back rail of the machine (there is plenty of room without affecting performance). I used my ownyarn winderfor the yarn to make small balls. I tried theyarn winder built into the machine and the yarn tended to tangle, I probably had too much yarn on it.This machine ismade of sturdy hard plastic with metal needles that will probably hold up forever. It has a row counter. As advertised, you can knit with different colors of yarns and tuck I even made a sock using the non-knitting position and more weights. My advise to anyone trying to save money on their first machine just to see if they like it, get a Bond or other full size knitting machine. There are several of them offered and will probably cost the same. Walmart and Joan Ann craftssell the Sweater machine for about $99.00. The directions say to supervise children. Mydaughter learned to knit on my chunky when she was 6 years old, I don't think she could have mastered this little one as it does require more patiencethat the big ones.

2 comments:

  1. This machine only knits to one stitch size. If your yarn is too thin or too thick - it will jam and cause trouble. I bet UK 4 ply is far too thin !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will not hear a bad word said against the BOND machines. The ULTIMATE SWEATER was junk, but generally these machines are brilliant.

    ReplyDelete