Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Spark Knock and Bad Fuel availability!!

I know this subject is targeted more for the riders of older bikes, as I'm well aware that newer bikes with EFI may have anti-knock sensors that eliminate or reduce the problem. However, I also know that my friend's '03 Road King has EFI, and he is now developing a Spark Knock problem....so perhaps the intended audience will be expanded over the summer. I have 2 HDs...both very similar, but one is virtually free of any spark knock and the other is plagued with it. Both are TC88 motors bored out to 95 CID, and both are carburated. Both have the Screamin' Eagle Ignition Module, both have 2-into-1 exhausts, and both are 'cam'd'. One is an "A" motor on my '00 Dyna (which has NO spark knock) and the other is a "B" motor on my '01 Fatboy. Needless to say, they both get the same gas from the same pump. So, why does one bike perform so differently from the other? Let me just say that I've had this 'discussion' with countless Harley experts, and the opinions are as diverse as the individuals themselves. But...before getting into the 'bike' issue.....let me mention fuel itself. This is a problem that's been around for years, and in some areas it's not getting any better. We're now being faced with all kinds of processes that add oxidizers, detergents, lubricants, and the other day I saw some kind of new 'Technium' additive that really seemed like nothing more than a new way to market the gas. But, the bottom line is that "FUEL" is FULL of additives that can affect this problem. Especially if you get a fuel that has a high level of alcohol incorporated into the mix. So, BEWARE of what's coming out of the pump!! As to the bikes......I can only say that I've dealt with this problem for two summers now....and as I see the temps getting warmer, I'm now starting to hear that classic rattle more frequently. I fear the day when I go to accelerate around a car and I drop a piston from detonation erosion. I may have to pull the heads of my motor just to check my pistons before another summer of riding. But, I am interested in any and every posting that gets submitted....and I hope to learn from them. I've been takin' apart motorcycle engines for nearly 50 years now......but I know I've got plenty to learn! So, any ideas or suggestions....please let me know. Thanks for reading this!! WC



Orignal From: Spark Knock and Bad Fuel availability!!

No comments:

Post a Comment