Sunday, August 2, 2009

Harley charging issue.....

Got a tough one. 2002 Harley fatboy. Set a low voltage code. Replaced original battery(low charge) and tested charging system. Everything checked out with my tester. Took bike to dealership to have historical code removed from bike. Just for the hell of it I have them check charging system. System checks out ok. Figure I have found the problem (5 yr old battery) A month later set another code. Check battery with meter it's low. recharge battery and take it back to local battery supply outlet for load test. They tell me it's fine but give me another battery anyway. Back to Dealer to remove code and have them do one more system check. Bike checks out ok again. I bought a Kuryakan battery gauge to monitor system while riding. Hook it up and start bike and let idle. Bike not showing a charge on gauge(lights left side) are in yellow. Green(center) means system charging. Yellow lights on far right mean overcharge. Throttle bike up and still no change. Let off throttle and lights on gauge appeared to spike from yellow no charge to grren and over to yellow over charge. Gauge then dropped back down to yellow no charge. It did this twice very quickly. Shut bike off. Check battery with tester and it reads 13.65. Restart bike and check charging system 14.50. Check new battery gauge and light is in green which means normal charging....but wait code is set again evidently from spike. I took bike out and rode it for two straight hours and charging system stayed in green(light) where it belonged. I'm thinking voltage regulator. Any ideas?...No, mountain,I don't want no stinkin victory. I'd rather have a root canal. No offense to any victory owners. I'm sure they are fine motorcycles. PS: bike runs great starts right up and no slow crank when starting. If the light code did not set I would not know I had a problem.



Orignal From: Harley charging issue.....

No comments:

Post a Comment