Saturday, July 18, 2009

Harley Dealer hosing me ?

I'm looking for some opinions on whether my bike has turned lemon or my local dealer is hosing me. I have a 2000 FLSTC with 6000 miles on it, always garage kept and never road in the rain. This bike has been well taken care of. I took it in for my 5000 mile checkup last July 2003. It was running great as always. When I got it back I noticed it had starting popping alot when gearing down. I called the dealer who said he did nothing to cause that. I rode it this way and put it up for the w inter in Sept. When I got it out this year, I noticed the pipes were starting to turn gold at my mufflers. I figured it was running lean from last summer. (I had a hard time with this as I have had a thunder slide kit and screamin eagle free flow kit and mufflers on this big since it was new.) When I took it in to my dealer, he said the float was out of adjustment and the jets all plugged up.To me it still ran fine. I let them fix this problem. When I got it back the popping was gone for the most part but now it idled way too high and my battery went dead after I had it back for 2 days. I charged the battery back up a couple times then called the dealer again. I took it back and they called and said they found the trouble. It was both my head gaskest were blown. I reluctantly told them to fix it. I also asked them to check the charging problem. I picked it up $500. later after they told me it was charging fine but the battery needed replacing. I decided I would do it myself. When I got it home, I bought a battery and put it in. I then put my volt meter on the battery and it showed 12.6 volts. When I started it, it went to 12.4 and showed no charging. I knew then there was nothing wrong with my battery and they mis diagnosed it. I called the service mgr. at the dealership and let him know how unhappy I was. He said bring it out and he would again test the charging rate. I rode it right out and he finally got a tech to check it and I heard the tech tell him it was not charging and the stator was bad. I know I should have my head examined but I left it there for them to fix once again. When I got home, I looked in my service manual that I just bought and it clearly says to test the regulator first and then you can test the stator to see which is bad. I might add when I unplugged the regulator, the plug was full of oil. Not sure where it came from unless the dealer spun off my filter and let the oil run everywhere when changing my oil. I just can't beleive a bike that has given me no problem until I let this dealer work on it starting with the 5000 miles checkup is a lemon after 4800 miles of no problems. Any opinions?



Orignal From: Harley Dealer hosing me ?

No comments:

Post a Comment